Friday, September 30, 2011

Steve Brewer: Thank Facebook For This One


Noticed on the Mindjacker FB page a small thumbnail picture of "Lost Vegas" by Steve Brewer, letting me know our pages were similiar. I checked it because the cover was cool. Glad I did! Here's why.

 I am a huge fan of heists, both novels and movies. Love them. Well, after a bit of recon, it seems Steve is quite prolific in the heist / crime writing arena. Maybe others have heard of him. Can't believe I hadn't. He's got 20 novels out there, mostly heists, but also some PI and even a hillbilly noir. I read the first 2 sample chapters of  "Lost Vegas" on his blog, and I was hooked. My nook is going to be busy downloading at least 5 or 6 of the heist stories, based on the premise and covers. He's got some impressive credentials as well (listed below).

He's got a blog, where you can check out CH 1 of "Lost Vegas" HERE and CH 2 HERE


STEVE BREWER is the author of more than 20 books, including the recent crime novels LOST VEGAS, THE BIG WINK, CALABAMA and FIREPOWER.

His first novel, LONELY STREET, recently was made into a Hollywood comedy starring Robert Patrick, Jay Mohr and Joe Mantegna. BOOST currently is under film/TV option.

Brewer's short fiction appeared in the anthologies DAMN NEAR DEAD, THE LAST NOEL and CRIMES BY MOONLIGHT, and he's published articles in magazines such as Mystery Scene, Crimespree and Mystery Readers' Journal.

A writing coach, Brewer has taught at the University of New Mexico, the Midwest Writers Workshop and the Tony Hillerman Writers Seminar. He regularly speaks at mystery conventions, and was toastmaster at Left Coast Crime in Santa Fe, NM, in 2011.

He served two years on the national board of Mystery Writers of America, and twice served as an Edgar Awards judge. He's also a member of International Thriller Writers.

Brewer worked as a journalist for 22 years, then wrote a weekly syndicated column for another decade. The column, called The Home Front, produced the raw material for the humor book TROPHY HUSBAND.

Married and the father of two adult sons, Brewer lives in Santa Cruz, California.

4 comments:

  1. Santa Cruz, California? Now I'm going to have to see what we've got of his at the bookstore.

    I love heist fiction too. This seems like a natural to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seana- I read the first 20% of "Lost Vegas" yesterday on Smashwords, at work. I am really loving it. Going to buy it today. I knew going in, the Elmore Leornard comparisons were there. I can see why. This is by far my fav style of writing and plotting. I would say very Declan Burke-ish, but seeing as Steve's been around a while, I'd have to say DB's writing is very Steve Brewerish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to be found! Thanks so much for the attention and the kind words. Currently moving back to New Mexico from Santa Cruz, but will be back to writing shortly. I love to hear from readers!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve- Thanks for stopping in. I am so liking "Lost Vegas", and can't wait to get to "The Big Wink" and "Calabama", which are already on the nook. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete