Thursday, March 3, 2011

More Proof Publishers Have their Heads Up Their Asses


Now that I have had a nook for a while, it has opened my eyes even further to the fact that there are so many good writers out there, who because of the archaic agent / publishing system, would never have had their novels read by anyone. A textbook example of this is my latest find which I discovered over at Lynn O'Dell's Red Adept Review site.

The author is James Henderson, The novel is "Baby Huey: A Cautionary Tale of Addiction".  James couldn't find a publisher, decided to go it on his own, and much to my benefit has it out as an e-book for only .99 cents. It just came out in early February and is now at # 10 in the fiction /drama rankings in the kindle store. How's that for a big Fuck You!

Baby Huey is everything I love in a novel so far (and I'm just getting to the crack part, so that's saying something): well written, excellent voice and characters, and cleverly funny. It is one of those "can't put it down" type of novels.

So, if you have a spare .99 cents, you 100 % cannot go wrong.  The link to James' very nice and inspirational website, where you can find out more about him is HERE and the novel is available in print, but you can get it on Amazon and B&N in ebook.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up, Sean, I'll check it out. I'm late to the e-book party, but catching on quick. There's some great stuff out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie- I really do like my nook. You can download a free kindle app for pc, but unless I'm reading short stories, I hate reading on my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't read novels as quickly on my lap top but short stories are fine. I'll have to get myself one of them kindles when I get some dosh in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sean. I tried to send you an email but it didn't take. Thanks very much for reading Baby Huey and posting it here on your blog. I would be delighted to send you a signed copy if you would send me a mailing address. Thanks very much. James Henderson

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, I am honored you stopped in. My above review does not even come close to how much I loved this novel. I'll be posting an update here this week with my thoughts and on B&N as well. Your novel is a work of art man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog via your comment on Nathan Bransford's most recent post. I'll be checking this book out! I'm seriously pondering experimenting by creating/designing my own eBook for my novel "The Breeders"...Not because of rejections (because I've had some good agent responses so far) but also because I like the idea of getting rid of the New York filter on everything! It's all pretty cool, and I'll add "Baby Huey" to my Nook queue immediately. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scratch that, just bought "Baby Huey"...I forgot it was only $.99!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MJB,

    Thanks for stopping in man and welcome. You have nothing to lose by giving it a go on your own. It's your writing and no one can ever take that away from you. Sure, everyone wants and agent and a publishing deal, but the times they are a changing. And to be honest, I think most people are fed up with the old way and can make decisons for themselves. I'm glad you bought BH, you will not be disapointed!

    ReplyDelete