Monday, June 6, 2011

Holiday's Were Made For...Working!

Man, has it been hectic lately. Spent the Memorial Day long weekend working and have to do the same Fourth of July. The Man even has us scheduled for next Memorial Day. But hey, I got's to pay he bills, and considering the state of the economy, I ain't gonna complain and I'm glad to have a job. The youth lacrosse season wraps up this weekend, so putting away the coaches hat is going to free up a good chunk of time.

Through it all, I was able to write and submit a 3,400 word short for Naomi Johnson's Watery Grave Invitational. I called it "Renegades of Pain" and I'm really happy with it. BIG TIME thanks to Naomi for hosting it and just as much thanks to Sanda Seamans' blog for tipping me off to it, at the eleveneth hour. I chipped away on this one from 10pm to 1am when I could and loved every minute of it. For whatever reason, I love writing under pressure. I'm always writing down small idea's for stories, or using real life situations to motivate me. For this one I combined two.

- Getting ripped off big time, when I bought my wife a flat iron for Mother's Day.
-That old Charms Lollipop commercial with the kid asking the owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of the pop.

From those two things, somehow, I built a story around them.

If you are looking for a way cool challenge, check out Steve Weddle's post today over at Do Some Damage. Summertime & Crime. I am so all over this as both are two of my fav subjects. Details HERE

Even though I have not been posting lately, I've still been following lots of blogs, reading some great posts and stories, and commenting when I can. There is so much talent out there, it is insane.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Sean, just checking whether I've figured out how to sign in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did. Let us know when and where we can read your Watery Grave story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Seana, blogger has certainly presented challenges of late that's for sure. The Watery Grave contest decisions are due June 19th, so one way or another you'll get to read it after that. Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been wondering how you were. Glad to hear you are busy working, sporting and of course, writing! Looking forward to reading your SPR. Take care. ;-)

    ReplyDelete